darkfiber
Apr 2, 08:09 PM
Is this the same Narrator that does the Ken Burns films?
That is actor Peter Coyote. Probably most famous for his role of the federal agent in E.T. Along with many acting roles he has done tons of narration as well. Not sure about Ken Burns films, but he has narrated something like 50 plus documentaries. He was also the voice for Oracle commercials. He did the first iPad commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2BvVcSkNkA)as well. Here is his IMDb page...
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001075/
and Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Coyote
That is actor Peter Coyote. Probably most famous for his role of the federal agent in E.T. Along with many acting roles he has done tons of narration as well. Not sure about Ken Burns films, but he has narrated something like 50 plus documentaries. He was also the voice for Oracle commercials. He did the first iPad commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2BvVcSkNkA)as well. Here is his IMDb page...
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001075/
and Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Coyote
skellener
Apr 12, 09:06 PM
Does anyone else think there will also be an update to QT X as well? Probably one of the most useless tools on the Mac right now. QTPro is still more useful for work. Just the idea that the buttons cover up the picture at all makes QTX pretty useless. I hope to see a real QTPro X. Bring back the FRAME counter (not just time) and get those controls OFF the picture!!!
MacRumors
May 2, 04:16 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/02/mac-os-x-lion-to-bring-ios-like-uninstall-process-for-mac-app-store-apps/)
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/05/02/171331-lion_delete_evernote.jpg

el dia del trabajador.

el dia del trabajador.

el dia del trabajador. el Día

el dia del trabajador. por el

1 de mayo dia del trabajador.

1 de mayo dia del trabajador.

Mayo – Día del trabajador

DIA DEL TRABAJADOR / LA

el dia del trabajador.

1 de mayo dia del trabajador.

dia del trabajador.

por el Día del Trabajador

el dia del trabajador.

1 de mayo dia del trabajador.

1 de mayo dia del trabajador.

el dia del trabajador.
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/05/02/171331-lion_delete_evernote.jpg

ecflagcorp
Jun 23, 12:21 PM
I can see many benefits to develop from this. Maybe not on an iMac, but a larger iPad with iMac or Mac Pro power from a designing stand point.
Yes, keep the use of a mouse and/or keyboard for the comfort side of things. But when it comes to intricate design, a mouse is just a pain to use. A Wacom tablet has been around a while and some still use it, but you're pretty much drawing blind folded. If you could use a type of stylus or a finger and draw/edit directly on the screen that would make detail work sooooo much easier and faster.
I think this is a good direction. Who says the iMac will still be a desktop monitor/computer? It could be like the iPad maybe with a popout easel for use as a freestanding monitor (maybe not as cheesy as that, but you get the picture), while still keeping your "all in one" desktop component.
Yes, keep the use of a mouse and/or keyboard for the comfort side of things. But when it comes to intricate design, a mouse is just a pain to use. A Wacom tablet has been around a while and some still use it, but you're pretty much drawing blind folded. If you could use a type of stylus or a finger and draw/edit directly on the screen that would make detail work sooooo much easier and faster.
I think this is a good direction. Who says the iMac will still be a desktop monitor/computer? It could be like the iPad maybe with a popout easel for use as a freestanding monitor (maybe not as cheesy as that, but you get the picture), while still keeping your "all in one" desktop component.
Beyondthought
Apr 3, 05:10 AM
Marketing geniuses :)
Indeed!
They revolutionized marketing for technology a while ago, and their still setting the pace! :apple:
Indeed!
They revolutionized marketing for technology a while ago, and their still setting the pace! :apple:
Surely
Jan 12, 10:27 AM
if you look at the codenames for many products, and I'm talking about way back to the apple II days, air seems more like a codename for a product than the product name itself. Maybe they will announce something like they did with the "iTV" and refer to it by its codename, because they don't have a name yet and it's not even out for official release yet.
Stop making sense. It's not welcome here.
You need to be more fanboy-ish. :D
Stop making sense. It's not welcome here.
You need to be more fanboy-ish. :D

timerollson
Feb 20, 03:03 PM
snip
What speakers and how's the bass on them?
What speakers and how's the bass on them?

Vegasman
May 2, 05:37 PM
iOS style multitasking features (benefits) are indeed in Lion.
Applications written for Lion can "suspend and resume" without having to "save and close" documents. The reason the little light below running apps on the Dock was removed is that "running" is now more of a decision between the App and OS -- not so much the user. (APP - "Am I idle right now? Can I resume from this point very quickly? If so, I'll just suspend myself till the user or an event wakes me back up. No need to burn RAM or CPU, the user won't even notice I'm not here.)
Uh? Don't our apps and operating systems already do this automatically already?
Applications written for Lion can "suspend and resume" without having to "save and close" documents. The reason the little light below running apps on the Dock was removed is that "running" is now more of a decision between the App and OS -- not so much the user. (APP - "Am I idle right now? Can I resume from this point very quickly? If so, I'll just suspend myself till the user or an event wakes me back up. No need to burn RAM or CPU, the user won't even notice I'm not here.)
Uh? Don't our apps and operating systems already do this automatically already?
cderalow
Jan 23, 08:43 AM
Right, Recaro makes race and sports car buckets. I doubt they make a single baby seat. They are probably licensing their name to it.
actually, they make the seats themselves.
http://www.recaro.com/us/product-areas/child-safety/product/overview.html
actually, they make the seats themselves.
http://www.recaro.com/us/product-areas/child-safety/product/overview.html
SchneiderMan
Nov 24, 04:02 AM
I rented The Expendables. It's a pretty hard core, kick ass movie!
shecky
Oct 23, 08:36 PM
So you think Santa Rosa will be out in time for MWSF? I thought the release date was to be in the 2nd quarter of 2007.
correct. santa rosa will not even be released by intel until april 2007 at the earliest, and i would guess not actually in a buyable system until may/june.
correct. santa rosa will not even be released by intel until april 2007 at the earliest, and i would guess not actually in a buyable system until may/june.
Abyssgh0st
Jan 30, 10:00 AM
Best handling car i have ever driven.... have a 5 month old little boy though so i think its days are numbered in favour of a truck!
More pictures please! I lust after Lotus.
More pictures please! I lust after Lotus.
daygoKid19
Nov 28, 05:11 PM
Just got back from Mexico and during my time there had a run in with the local police. This is common as hire cars have different colour number plates so the police can easily pick you out of a crowd. Apparently we were 'speeding'. It's all fun and games though. I got the fine down from about $400 US to 1000 pesos. We were warned this would happen when we arrived and should just look at it as an extra 'toll'. I could have probably got it down lower but it was hot and we had a long way to go still.
At the end of the negotiation you get a form to sign with how much you paid and then you have to sign your name. The document is cleary made in something like Word and it's in no way official....I signed it Ben T Copper! :p
I remember my few run in with the Mexican Police. I remember going down to Rosarito and some prick behind me started to chase me. So i decided to step on it pushing past 100mph only to find out it was the police. The best thing to do i found out was to only keep about 5-10 dollars in your wallet. Then when they tell you the fine you show them what you have in your wallet and they will be more than satisfied with it.
At the end of the negotiation you get a form to sign with how much you paid and then you have to sign your name. The document is cleary made in something like Word and it's in no way official....I signed it Ben T Copper! :p
I remember my few run in with the Mexican Police. I remember going down to Rosarito and some prick behind me started to chase me. So i decided to step on it pushing past 100mph only to find out it was the police. The best thing to do i found out was to only keep about 5-10 dollars in your wallet. Then when they tell you the fine you show them what you have in your wallet and they will be more than satisfied with it.

stevehp
Oct 23, 04:18 PM
I know you will see that I've never posted before, so anything I say will probably be taken with a grain of salt. I don't blame you for not believing me, every Tuesday I am let down with all of you. If I am lying you can ban me from this forum, for whatever it's worth, I promise what I'm telling you is the truth. I see you guys are as antsy as I am about this update.
I know a person that works at an Apple Store as an inventory control specialist - I asked him back in July to tell me before hand if he knew when the Merom MacBook Pro was coming out. Today I got a text message from him saying, "(dan's) laptop might be coming out tomorrow." However, he thinks it's only a 15''.
Something is definitely planned to come out tomorrow. I know it's not concrete, but it gives me hope. I figured I would share.
I'm hoping he is wrong about the 15'' thing, I wanted a 17''. Either way, I'll take what I can get. I've been waitng too long.
whoa...
hope that's true, but I also hope the 17 will be updated at the same time.
I know a person that works at an Apple Store as an inventory control specialist - I asked him back in July to tell me before hand if he knew when the Merom MacBook Pro was coming out. Today I got a text message from him saying, "(dan's) laptop might be coming out tomorrow." However, he thinks it's only a 15''.
Something is definitely planned to come out tomorrow. I know it's not concrete, but it gives me hope. I figured I would share.
I'm hoping he is wrong about the 15'' thing, I wanted a 17''. Either way, I'll take what I can get. I've been waitng too long.
whoa...
hope that's true, but I also hope the 17 will be updated at the same time.
vanzskater272
Aug 24, 06:33 PM
I cant wait for the new macbook to come out! I am gonna get it the first day.
Habakuk
Mar 26, 03:13 AM
touchArcade wrote (http://toucharcade.com/2011/03/25/digging-into-ipad-2s-hdmi-out-and-what-it-means-for-games/): "…clean digital signal while the VGA and component cables provide analog output only (and lack audio information)."
This is not true. The component (and composite) cable provides audio. The VGA does not. It's okay that the small iDevices offer multiple video out (and audio out) options:
- Headphone out
- Docks (balanced analog audio out only)
- Component cable
- Composite cable (not compatible with Component)
- VGA adapter
- HDMI
- and last but not least wireless Apple TV 2
They all offer different options and techniques for different purposes. Digital/analog, CRT TV sets, balanced/unbalanced audio, mirroring or not. Serves for just viewing your photos and videos, for DJs, VJs, video editing, presentations etc.
I am using them frequently. There should be an article that points out the differences. I am sure even the software devs don't know exactly everything on that topic.
This is not true. The component (and composite) cable provides audio. The VGA does not. It's okay that the small iDevices offer multiple video out (and audio out) options:
- Headphone out
- Docks (balanced analog audio out only)
- Component cable
- Composite cable (not compatible with Component)
- VGA adapter
- HDMI
- and last but not least wireless Apple TV 2
They all offer different options and techniques for different purposes. Digital/analog, CRT TV sets, balanced/unbalanced audio, mirroring or not. Serves for just viewing your photos and videos, for DJs, VJs, video editing, presentations etc.
I am using them frequently. There should be an article that points out the differences. I am sure even the software devs don't know exactly everything on that topic.
jakemikey
Aug 24, 10:22 PM
Core 2s will be nice, but if you've already got a Core-based Mac now, I wouldn't rush to sell it. The Meroms coming out are an "initial" version according to Intel, designed to be pin-compatible as an easy replacement for the Yonahs.
In addition, Core 2 Duo vs Core Duo performance increase really isn't all that dramatic:
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808
Certainly not worth buying one to upgrade your current Yonah machine, assuming that really would be possible without some sort of EFI update.
While Merom isn't much faster than Yonah, Conroe in an iMac would be superb with the faster clock and bus speeds.
In addition, Core 2 Duo vs Core Duo performance increase really isn't all that dramatic:
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808
Certainly not worth buying one to upgrade your current Yonah machine, assuming that really would be possible without some sort of EFI update.
While Merom isn't much faster than Yonah, Conroe in an iMac would be superb with the faster clock and bus speeds.

shawnce
Aug 29, 02:07 PM
The pricelist from Intel themselves (PDF). (http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/processor_price_list.pdf)
Core 2 Duo: Merom pricing.
Yonah prices in normal font, Merom in bold
1.66 GHz - $209/ $209
1.83 GHz - $241/ $241
2 GHz - $294/$294 etc. etc. That link is currently to the July 27th 2006 price list which was way before the merom announcement (note that no merom parts are listed). Wait until the new price list is posted...
Core 2 Duo: Merom pricing.
Yonah prices in normal font, Merom in bold
1.66 GHz - $209/ $209
1.83 GHz - $241/ $241
2 GHz - $294/$294 etc. etc. That link is currently to the July 27th 2006 price list which was way before the merom announcement (note that no merom parts are listed). Wait until the new price list is posted...
Rocketman
Jan 2, 11:24 AM
Thereby adding $300 to the price...? Doesn't seem likely.
Need four cores? Buy a Mac Pro.
Since Intel is releasing the 2.0 Ghz C2Q chip this week, it seems likely to find its way into an iTV and/or iMac device. That's four cores on the cheap.
Rocketman
Need four cores? Buy a Mac Pro.
Since Intel is releasing the 2.0 Ghz C2Q chip this week, it seems likely to find its way into an iTV and/or iMac device. That's four cores on the cheap.
Rocketman
Mattsasa
Apr 2, 07:54 PM
did you see the backlight bleeding?!? :rolleyes:
your kidding right?
your kidding right?
iToaster
Jan 12, 04:18 PM
Perhaps AIR is an acronym?
Apple I______ R______ :)
Apple's Inconceivable Riddle. :rolleyes:
Apple I______ R______ :)
Apple's Inconceivable Riddle. :rolleyes:
Unspeaked
Aug 29, 01:52 PM
but since the two will be sold side-by-side, yonah obviously has some benefits that merom does not have. and that benefit is most likely price.
And the ability to grant three wishes.
(It's buried deep in the documentation...)
And the ability to grant three wishes.
(It's buried deep in the documentation...)
roland.g
Sep 1, 02:33 PM
The only thing better than G5 Powerbooks, is not having G5 Powerbooks! :D
Baseline
Nov 15, 08:41 AM
seriously though, how hard is it to get a program to multi-thread? (if thats the right term; being a complete programming novice, i've no idea)
That really depends on the program, on how "parallelizable" the application is.
The simplest way to think of it is like this: Let's say you have a program that first has to calculate A. Then, when it's done that, it uses the result of A to calculate B. Then, when it's done that, uses the result of B to calculate C, then C to D, and so on. That's a *serial* problem there. The calculation of B can't begin until A is done, so it doesn't matter how many processors you have running, all computation is held up on one spot.
On the other hand, let's say you have an application that needs to calculate A, B, C and D, but those four values are not dependent on each other at all. In that case, you can use four processors at the same time, to calculate all four values at the same time.
Think of it like baking a cake. You can't start putting on the icing until the cake is done baking. And you can't start baking the cake until the ingredients are all mixed together. But you can have people simultaneously getting out and measuring the ingredients.
So that problem is partially parallelizable, but the majority of its workload is a serial process.
Some software applications, just by their very nature, will never be able to do anything useful with multiple processors.
That really depends on the program, on how "parallelizable" the application is.
The simplest way to think of it is like this: Let's say you have a program that first has to calculate A. Then, when it's done that, it uses the result of A to calculate B. Then, when it's done that, uses the result of B to calculate C, then C to D, and so on. That's a *serial* problem there. The calculation of B can't begin until A is done, so it doesn't matter how many processors you have running, all computation is held up on one spot.
On the other hand, let's say you have an application that needs to calculate A, B, C and D, but those four values are not dependent on each other at all. In that case, you can use four processors at the same time, to calculate all four values at the same time.
Think of it like baking a cake. You can't start putting on the icing until the cake is done baking. And you can't start baking the cake until the ingredients are all mixed together. But you can have people simultaneously getting out and measuring the ingredients.
So that problem is partially parallelizable, but the majority of its workload is a serial process.
Some software applications, just by their very nature, will never be able to do anything useful with multiple processors.
No comments:
Post a Comment